Warning: bragging ahead!
Seriously, this is one of the best salads I’ve ever made. Hands down. No contest. I thought it was a bit of a random concoction at the time of making it, but all the ingredients worked perfectly together and I could have gone back for
seconds thirds (which, thankfully, wouldn’t be frowned upon for once).
I encourage you to give this one a go sometime – and for the vego’s out there, you can easily change up the chicken for spiced roast sweet potato or some seasoned tofu.
The key ingredients
1 organic/ free range chicken breast fillet
1 purple carrot (Fast fact: did you know purple carrots are a superfood and can help with weight loss and lowering cancer risk?)
5 prunes, cut in halves
1/2 avocado, diced (I used the most amazingly creamy Reed avocado that I bought from the organic markets)
Pulling it all together
1. Cut up chicken. In a bowl, mix cumin, paprika, small dash of cayenne pepper and juice from half a lemon and add chicken to bowl; coat chicken with spices.
2. Thread chicken onto skewers, place on metal cooking rack with tray and broil (grill) for about 6 minutes, then turn and grill for 6 minutes on other side.
3. Grate purple carrot (I bought mine at Coles – if you can’t find one, use raw beetroot instead) then add rocket, prunes and diced avo to plate.
4. Add chicken to top and sprinkle with chia seeds and a dash of paprika.
5. Dress lightly with a mix of lemon, celtic sea salt, pepper, olive oil and grated lemon rind.
6. On the side, have a small bowl of yoghurt/ mint/ lemon juice dressing (not shown) to add to the salad while eating.
+ I’d love to know what you think of the salads so far and if you plan on making any. Are these recipes useful for you as a reference?