After mentioning that we’ve been upping the ante on the salad front, lovely Jess from Ela Hawke Vintage asked if I would be doing a ‘salad inspiration’ blog post and I thought, why not do five of them?
Every day this week I’ll be featuring one our salad creations to inspire you to incorporate more green goodness into your life without getting bored with the same old, same old.
So without any further ado, here’s the first cab off the rank – Rocket, Brown Rice & Mint Salad!
The key ingredients
Sweet chilli (or red capsicum)
1 cup of brown rice
Handful of chia seeds
Cooking brown rice in 5 easy steps
1. Bring 4 cups of water to the boil in a large pot.
2. Rinse 1 cup of rice in a strainer under cold running water for 30 seconds.
3. Add rice to pot and turn heat to medium; boil for 30 minutes.
4. After 30 minutes, pour rice into a strainer over the sink. Let the rice drain for 10 seconds, then return it to the pot, off the heat.
5. Cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid and set it aside to allow the rice to steam for 10 minutes.
Pulling it all together
1. Season brown rice with celtic sea salt and a small amount of olive oil. Add this to plate first.
2. Pile up other ingredients on top and dress with a lemon/ olive oil/ balsamic vinegar dressing and a sprinkle of celtic sea salt. Devour.
ADDITIONAL EXTRAS: Salt & Vinegar Kale Chips
I’ve made kale chips (with celtic/ Himalayan sea salt) on numerous occasions but for some reason had never thought to add to vinegar element until I saw this post from Kelly at Design Crush.
Hello deliciousness! You could add these to the salad above for a real flavour explosion… or just scoff them on their own for a super healthy snack.
* Kelly used balsamic vinegar but I love the ‘tang’ of white vinegar, so I used that instead.
+ Finally, if – like me – living healthily, mindfully and with insane amounts of energy is on your mind, I highly recommend you get your hands on a copy of Jess Ainscough’s wildly popular e-book ‘Make Peace With Your Plate’ (just click the image to the right of the screen). So inspiring!